Monday, January 17, 2005

HEY!! I've Got Something To Say

Prejudice: antipathy based on faulty and inflexible generalization, directed at a group or an individual of that group

Chauvinism: activity indicative of the belief in the superiority of men over women

Misogyny: hatred of women

There have been certain events that have occured in my life over the past couple of days that have me wondering if we are still in the Stone Age. And although I am not at liberty to discuss these events in detail, that will certainly not prevent this rant.

I am so very glad that I married a man who has some sense of who I am as a woman and respects me as such. Granted, he has his issues and sometimes he is truly a 'guy' in the sense that women are as understandable as pig latin to him, but overall he does try and he tries hard to understand and appreciate women. (The latter being infinitely easier for him than the former;))

However, it is some of these other men that I have the chance to deal with on a somewhat regular basis that truly annoy me. Are we not in a new era, a new century, a new day?? Then why is it that so many men still want to act like we are in a time warp?

Guys.......we are women. We are not your pets, your old ladies, your 'little girls'. We are WOMEN. We are just as intelligent as you are (more than some of you), just as logical, just as fair-minded, just as shrewd, just as cunning, just as tough, just as strong and just as just as you claim to be. Why can't you simply accept that and move on with your lives??

Why do you feel the need to belittle us with your cute euphemisms and objectify us with your shallow perceptions of how women should be? Guess what? We are not your 'hot mommas' nor are we a mere collection of body parts like a 'nice ass' and 'great jugs'. What in God's name is wrong with you people? I cannot believe that you have made it this far in your life still being this ignorant!

Does it make you feel better about yourself as a man to try to step on women, to try to control women? Does it do your obviously low self-esteem good to pretend that you are better than another human on the face of this earth?

Do you really feel masculine talking about football scores and politics and the stock market? Well, if so, then call me a dude too because I can hold my own on any of the above subjects and many more.

Message: having a penis does not automatically entitle you to anything. It does NOT make you inherently smarter, stronger, faster or anything else. In other words, growing a penis does not mean that you can grow a brain.

Remember this: a woman gave birth to you. If it wasn't for God allowing her to carry you for nine months and her working to get you here, then you wouldn't be here at all. Think about that the next time you get worked up over 'silly, incompetent women.'

My suggestion is that you put all of that backwards good ol' boy thinking aside, develop some maturity and grow up.

To all of the women that allow these men to be like this and never say a word about it because 'men will be men', please STOP IT! You are making my job a lot harder!!

To all of the men out there that are NOT like this (and there are a lot of them I know): THANK YOU for being more evolved humans and may you be able to pass it on to future generations. We need more like you.

And to those of you who are sitting there thinking "ultra-liberal feminist bitch", you are almost right. I am NOT a liberal, I am really NOT a feminist per se, but yes, I can be a bitch. (But then, according to these guys, aren't we all?)

Peace allll..............


1 comment:

MRMacrum said...

Your definition of chauvinism is at best only partial, at worse, applies a meaning to it not implied by the word chauvinism in and of itself.

The first definition of Chauvinism is - militant, unreasoning and boastful devotion to one's country.

The second - unreasoning devotion to one's sex

In this context, chauvinism should be accompanied by "male". Women can be chauvunists too. I know several who live down the road.

But as you say, we men are pigs. At some point in all our lives we have looked upon women as something less than ourselves. My mother's strong presemce in our family quickly quashed any feeling of superiority I may have had. But, that still did not lessen my sexual fixation on the opposite sex. I make no excuses for this fixation, but I do not broadcast it either. I quit being vulgar and rude a long time ago. Sadly, many of my gender have not outgrown the stupidity of the adolescent male teen. I am always embarrassed when I am witness to it now, no matter which sex is exhibiting it.