Sunday, January 09, 2005

Happy Birthday Terrell

Today would have been my best friend's son's 27th birthday. I say would have been because he is no longer with us.

On February 16, 2001, he was murdered.

He was murdered in his own home trying to protect his sister-in-law from an ex-boyfriend who just couldn't understand the meaning of the word 'no.' Not only did he lose his life she lost hers as well.

He was murdered in front of his wife (who was shot twice herself) and in front of his 4-week old daughter and a houseful of nieces and nephews aged 2-11 years. The 11 year old and a 4 year old were eyewitnesses. Fortunately, the other kids were upstairs.

He was a good guy, a good son, a good husband and brother and a great dad. He loved his daughter.

Aside from his wife and daughter, he left behind a twin sister, another sister and his mom.

Today is his birthday and I miss him. I miss trading insults with him. (He was the first one to tell me that I had a way with words;-)). I miss finding homes for the stray animals he used to find. (He would never take them to the pound because he knew they would kill them in 3 days and he couldn't stand the thought of that.) I miss telling him to turn his music down and to pull his pants up. I miss him playing rap music on an old church organ that he had bought. (Honestly, it was the funniest sounding thing you have ever heard.)

I just miss him.....and I just wanted to tell him "Happy Birthday."

So, Happy Birthday Terrell. Same time next year?

Peace........

1 comment:

Oh great One said...

What a lovely tribute.