Saturday, January 22, 2005

Family Ties

Family....now there's an odd idea. You take a group of people who sometimes look similar and sometimes act similarly, put them in the same location, let them live together, and somehow expect them to love one another. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I have two families. One is the one that I was born into. One is the one that I chose. Now, there is one person who is in my blood family that is also in my chosen family. That would be my mom. Unfortunately, she passed away in 1997, so what I have left in my life is my chosen family: my husband, my best friend, my kids (yes they are chosen by me and I hope one day I will be chosen by them as well). I do not have much to do with what is left of my blood family because they decided a long time ago that they did not want to have much to do with me. It was then that I decided that my chosen family is the lesser of two evils. Sad, I know, but true. And the odd thing about it is that my husband and my best friend are in the same predicament, so I know that I am not the only one out here like this.

I love my blood family, don't get me wrong. But they have failed me as often as I must have failed them. I have never felt like anyone in my blood family would support me or have my back like my chosen family would. This has been proven many times over. And this has led to my point: family is a group of people who love each other, not just because they are related to each other. Family are the ones you can talk to freely, because they love you and have taken the time to try to understand you, not because they have the title of Mother,Father, Brother or Sister.

I would like to thank my blood family for not killing me and I would like to thank my chosen family for making my living worthwhile. I also must thank the good Lord for leading these people into my life (thereby proving He has a sense of humor;))

So here's to you guys: Mom, Grover, Rachel, Josh, Briana, Lukas and Jakob.........my real family.

Peace alllll...........................

No comments: