Monday, July 18, 2005

Hey, Harry...

Well, I bought my copy of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince yesterday and finished it today. And well, what can I say? I laughed, I cried, I wanted to jerk a knot in Ms. Rowlings for the (in my opinion) horribly unfair ending. However, that's just me......

For all of those people who are in an uproar over the whole Harry Potter series: get a grip! I am a Christian woman and have been for some time. I am very careful about what books I let my kids read, this is true. HOWEVER, having read the entire Harry Potter series, I can say only one thing.....this is fantasy people! There is no real Hogwarts school of magic....it's a fairy tale! If your child does not know the difference between fantasy and reality, then by all means do not let them read this material. But any kid who knows what the term "make believe" means I think is pretty safe reading it. Of course, you have to consider these people are the same ones who would have no qualms about reading "Three Blind Mice" ( a tale of animal abuse.....tale/tail....get it? ha ha!!) or "Rumplestiltskin" (psychotic little troll he was). As a matter of fact, if you read "Grimm's Fairy Tales" or even "Mother Goose", that stuff is pretty darn scary when you think about it!

Remember, the common fairy tales that we grew up with were once considered almost heresy. They turned out to be what?.......fairy tales, make believe stories....fantasy. So is Mr. Potter and his group. And besides, you can always consider the fact that it is a good vs. evil story. And good eventually wins, despite some side steps along the way. I think anybody can take heart in that.

Peace allll.............

P.S. At least the kids who are reading these books are READING. And who knows, if they read one, they may read more! Oh, my, a country with children who can actually read....who woulda thunk it????

2 comments:

Oh great One said...

Yeah! What you said!

Bsoholic said...

Booyah! You got that right!