Thursday, August 25, 2005

Yeah, I'm A Christian....What of It?

In a previous comment on one of my posts, the great one OGO made the statement that many Christians are percieved by the media as zealots or radicals. This statement hit really close to home for me. In order for you to understand that, I must first begin by explaining what it means to me to be a Christian.

According to what I believe, as a Christian I have obtained eternal salvation through the Lord Jesus Christ. In other words I have been "born again." Simple enough. However, living as a Christian can be a little.....sticky....sometimes. The reason for this is mainly because people have already determined what I think, what I feel and how I will respond to any situation before they have even spoken to me for more than 5 minutes. And so, due to their preconceived notions (hmmm...can we say "prejudice"?)...they think they 'know' me. They don't.

As a Christian:

1. I DO NOT think that I am better than anyone. We are all human and we are all stuck in this together whether we like it or not. I am just the same as another Christian, another mom, another woman, another person on this earth no matter what their beliefs are. We all feel the same joys, the same pains, the same humiliations, the same fears. We all long to be loved, needed, wanted and accepted by others. We all make mistakes and we all have regrets. We all have days when we feel that we could take on the world and we all have days when we would just rather hide under the covers and hope no one finds us. It's called the human condition and as long as you are human you are subject to it.

2. I do not agree with abortion;however, I also do not agree with blowing up abortion clinics and killing doctors who perform them.

3. I do not condone suicide. I do understand completely why someone would want to commit suicide. I have been there myself before....once..a long time ago. And I'm glad I didn't.

4. I GET ANGRY sometimes. What? You don't think a Christian can get angry? Of course we can. Doesn't mean I make a habit of it...but it happens. (See the human condition notation in number 1)

5. I'm not always happy happy joy joy but I try to extract as much happiness as I can out of any given day. Some days it's a lot, somedays not. Just depends on how the day goes.

6. I don't want to get hurt and I don't want to hurt anyone else. (Unless it comes to protecting my kids....then all bets are off)

7. I think that serving other people is a much better thing than always serving myself (I'm not talking about self-preservation....I'm talking about self-absorption).

8. I don't always have a good day. Some days are good, some days are bad and some days are just days. But I'm grateful for each and everyone that the Lord sees fit to bless me with.

Now.....you have read the list above. Read it again. Sound like anyone you may know? Maybe, with a couple of exceptions, it maybe sounds a lot like you? Are you a zealot or a fanatic? No? Then why would you think that I would be just because I'm a Christian?

Why are non-Christians who have dissenting opinons simply looked at like regular people who have dissenting opinions? But when a Christian doesn't agree well, then, they are .....zealots, fanatics, nuts, hypocrites, self-righteous, holier than thou or pompous and pretentious? (Just pick one)

In the past few years since I have become a Christian I have been dogged out, made fun of, ignored, spit on, cursed out, rejected, shut out and shut up (although the shut up part hasn't happened much....I'm a little to contrary for all that;)). I have been expected to apologize for my beliefs and have seen much disbelief (not to mention anger) when I have refused. I have not and will not apologize for being a Christian. I can't. It's who and what I am. And if you expect me to have tolerance and forbearance when it comes to your beliefs, I think you need to begin with you.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Peace alllll..........

7 comments:

SC&A said...

You are describing why the dems lost the last two elections.

They gave up the hard working, church going center in favor of hollywood.

See this
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion/articles/041025/25edit.htm

It's worth the read.

Oh great One said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. When I talk to my friends about Christianity it's always the same deal. "They always want to cram their beliefs down my throat." Huh? Have I EVER done that to you? No? Hmm there is a problem with your statement then isn't there?

I was having a conversation with one of my close friends about sex and she brought up the fact that I was a Christian. What does that have to do with anything? Am I not supposed to enjoy it because of my beliefs? Where do they get this crap? I explained that being a Christian doesn't make me less human. It just means that I'm doing my best to follow God's teaching.

I didn't mean to go on and on. I'm not even sure how much sense this makes. Obviously it is something that bugs the crap out of me. I'd like to know why it is ok to portray Christians as nut jobs but if you did the same with any other religion,race,gender you would have a fight on your hands. Dang it! Here I go again. I'll stop now I promise!

Shane said...

no comment

sprinkle4 said...

OGO: I always get a kick out of those people who think Christians don't have sex. I tell them I got pregnant by osmosis.

Shane: I miss you too, not to mention the fact that you can convey cynicism, disappointment and sarcasm all in two words. Well said!

sprinkle4 said...

That's not a bad thing.

Adrianne said...

Amen.

begins with v said...

Thank you for posting this...I am tired of people grouping me as a Christian with the fanatics of this world...yes, there are Christian fundamentalists who say and believe very crazy and very different things than what I believe, but please don't group me with those people! I say this to a lot of people: the only thing that makes me a Christian is my belief that Jesus is God's son sent here to die for us. That is it!!! I don't believe that gay people are going to hell...I don't believe that people who commit suicide are going to hell...I don't believe in forcing others into my spiritual beliefs! I am spiritual, not religious...this is what Jesus was, and I think that more people should take on this example.