Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Venting, Venting...Oh, And Did I Mention Venting?

Political correctness started out as a pretty good thing. I mean, most people with any kind of conscience at all would not deliberately want to insult another person for just no reason. So, while I agree with it in theory, I think that it has gone waaaay too far. You can't say anything at all these days without someone being offended. It seems as if there are groups of people who are just walking around waiting to be offended and they will jump on any opportunity. Perhaps if they would stop thinking about themselves so much, they wouldn't have time to be offended so often. So....political? Sometimes, yes I am. Correct? Not often;)

Speaking of being offended or insulted or peeved by what others are saying, I have just three words: PAT, PAT, PAT.......Robertson that is. You know, the leader of the 700 Club, the one that said that assassinating Venezuelan president Chavez would be much less expensive than going to war. Why are people so bent out of shape about this and demanding a public apology? The man has a right to say what he wants. He is covered by the 1st Amendment, no? So, even though you may not agree with him, you certainly cannot disagree with his right to say what he thinks. Personally, although I DO NOT condone assassinations as a rule, I have to agree: it would be a lot cheaper. Of course, now ...if Dennis Rodman or Jessica Simpson or Hulk Hogan or Barbra Streisand had said the same thing, they would have people lining up on their websites and outside of their homes to show support. Is it because Robertson is a Christian and somewhere along the way people have gotten the idea that Christians are supposed to be soooo passive and have no dissenting opinion on anything? Or what?

Now for something completely different:

Why are so many people these days concerned with style over substance? Why are they so worried about what kind of car they are driving and how much bling they have and how big their house is when they are not really so worried about what is going on in those big houses? Like what their kids are doing when they're not around and what their spouses are doing when they're working 'overtime'. Do they really know? Do they really care? Or are they just worried about keeping up appearances? Just a curiousity.

Do I sound a little cynical, a little bitter? I'm not. It's just maybe I have come to a point in my life where I'm simply tired of all the silly crap. If you can't actually use your brain for something other than figuring out what to wear when you go out tonight or the quickest way to get laid, I just don't have much time for it. If you spend so much time in your neighbor's backyard that your own is getting kinda cruddy, I just don't have much time for it. If you are recoiling in offense at what I'm saying but you would gladly talk about your best friend behind their back, I just don't have time for it. If you look good on the outside but your soul is as black as the pits of hell, then I just don't have time for it.

Looks like I may be freeing up a whole lot of space on my schedule in the future.

Peace alllll...........

3 comments:

Oh great One said...

I would like to know what you think about the way Christians are portrayed in the media as a whole. It seems to me that more often than not the "Christian" character is some sort of radical or zealot.

I agree that Pat has every right to say what he thought. After all that's something many brave soldiers have died for. Isn't it?

"If you spend so much time in your neighbor's backyard that your own is getting kinda cruddy" I love that line! Do you mind if I use it now and then?

sprinkle4 said...

I have to agree with the fact that the Christian is often portrayed as a radical or zealot. Also, if you see a Christian who is financially well off, then they must have comitted some sort of crime to be that way according to the general opinion. I mean, it's all well and good to be a Buddhist or a Scientologist and have money but a Christian? Heaven forbid! I will never understand that.

Sure, you can use any of my lines that ya want!:)

SC&A said...

I wonder if people, prompted by the media, were as upset at Jesse Jackson's 'Hymietown' remark as they are at pat Robertson.