Thursday, May 05, 2005

Old Folks

I work with a lot of younger people. By younger, I mean in the 18-25 age group. One of the most common themes amongst these younger people is their fear/dislike of what they consider "old" people. This kind of irritates me and kind of confuses me as well.

At what point are you considered "old"? Is it 55, 65, 80, 120? Or is it 40? And why do young people consider being "old" to be such a bad thing? Most of the younger people I know express at the least irritation and at the most downright dislike of older people. Why is this? I have heard the following reasons:

"They are slow.".......Ummmm, well, yeah. If you drive the same car for 65 years, it's not going to be in showroom condition, I don't care how well you maintain it.

"They are rude." Sure they are....sometimes. Who isn't? What makes it better for younger people to be rude but not older people.

"They are dull." On this one I emphatically disagree. If you sit and ask an older person to tell you some of their life stories, you will not be disappointed. Just listen sometimes.

"They are cheap." It's called a fixed income.

Seems like some people would just prefer if we didn't have older people around. Well, what would you suggest? Public hangings at 100? Or 65? Or 40? Because many would use the argument that they have outlived their "usefulness". Well, if that's the case, I know a whole lotta 18 year olds that need to be put out to pasture with them.

And if you are one of those people that just "doesn't like older people", remember this: they would be the same people in 20 year old bodies as they are in 80 year old ones. And if you wait long enough, and you're lucky, one day you'll be one of them too.

Peace alll......

2 comments:

Oh great One said...

SEE this,THIS is why I love your blog!

Sprinkle for PRESIDENT!

Mad Housewife said...

I agree and I'm 24. I enjoy hearing of my grandmother's stories. She's like a history book. She does drive slow, but she doesn't drive while trying to hold a cell phone on her shoulder and eating potato chips and smoking a cigarette at the same time. She is not drunk when she drives either. She is rude sometimes, but she thinks everything should be as it was in the 30s and 40s. When I am 84 years old I'll think everything should be as it was in the 80s and 90s. She is not cheap, and just because she's on a fixed income doesn't mean she's cheap. She gives plenty but not in a monetary fashion. And besides, without the old people we wouldn't be here.