Thursday, March 24, 2005

How High

I have never liked the sensation of being out of control. That is one of the reasons that during my lifetime I only smoked weed for like 2 weeks and put it away. (This was 15 years ago when I was still young;)) I just didn't like the sensation of not being myself, of not being completely in control of my mind. Plus there was that whole incident when I didn't know where I was in my own living room that time. (but that is another story for another day)

Anyway, the upshot of this is that I do not like being high. At all. Well, yesterday morning I got high...the legal way. In the hospital. When I was in pre-op, they started the little I.V. with some antibiotics and stuff in it. Then, they added a "little something to help me rest." Ummm, hello, but aren't you guys about to knock me out in a few minutes? Isn't that rest enough?

So, they roll me to the operating room and have me get on the little (yes, little) table stick my arms out like "take me now" and one of the guys tells me he is going to give me some anti-nausea meds. Okay, so this stuff gets my ears ringing and my heart pounding and my head is not together because they have already gotten me high with their "little something to help me rest" meds. So, I'm laying there totally freaked out and they tell me to "relax and breathe". Oh, yeah? YOU relax and breathe Bubba! (And yes, I actually said this to the guy so I may be missing more than a gallbladder now, who knows;))

The next thing Iknow I am waking up in recovery so whacked out I can't even say my name. The operation itself was over by 10 a.m. but courtesy of legal drugs, I couldn't even get up to pee until 2 p.m., at which point I politely told my nurse that I was getting the heck out of there.

They discharged me, we left and went to pick up the kids and Grover half-carried me into the house along with getting the kids in as well. (What a Superman!!) And even though I was still (am still) in a lot of pain, by that point most of the drugs had worn off and here I am, alive and kicking (well, not actually kicking but at least sitting) .....much to some people's dismay;).

Thanks to all for your good wishes and prayers. It has been most appreciated.

Peace alllll.....................

1 comment:

Oh great One said...

Oh, I am so glad to see that you are feeling good enought to post. It's funny what you say under anesthesia. After my daughters birth I told the guy who was switching me from one bed to the other (with a crane thingy) that it was nice of him to free Willy! He chuckled a little but I think he was used to that sort of nonsense.

Hang in there and get well!