Saturday, June 23, 2007

Saturdays and Random Stuff

So, I thought I would check out this new template and see if it worked for me. I dunno......looks a little too shushi fushi....but we'll see.

Anyhooooo......I hate Saturdays. Hate may be too strong of a word though. Loathe, detest, dislike immensely maybe. Saturdays are boring, there's never anything on TV, and all the yard wark is just staring you in the face like "Are you gonna get to me TODAY maybe?" And with Grover working six days a week, it's just like Friday except without the paycheck and any good movies. I find it hard to believe that I spent all those years as a kid looking forward to this day of the week and now I just wish it would hurry up and go by. Grover says it's because Saturday is a play day for people and I've forgotten how to play. I haven't forgotten......I just don't have time! By the time I finish cooking and cleaning and cutting the grass and cleaning some more and bandaging cuts and scrapes and bee stings and washing the dog and washing the car and all the mundane junk associated with my life these days, I really do not have time, much less energy, to play. And that's kinda sad.

Moving on......

Lukas, who is 4 and a half, is now working on simple addition. He can read and write his ABC's and he loves math but he has no interest at the present time in learning how to read words. I'm trying and he's resisting. But I'm pretty confident he'll start within the week. That's how he is. He has to do it in his own time and his own way. Fortunately, his own time is pretty quick.

However, Jakob, who is 3 and a half, is now reading. Everything. Anything. He just started out of the blue last Monday when I was working with Lukas. I was going over words with Lukas when Jakob came up and just started reading the list. After a moment, as it is with reading, Lukas got bored and went on to more interesting things. So I tried to see just how far Jakob could go with this reading thing. He did pretty well, if I may say so. The biggest word he got was "submarine." It was incredibly exciting for me (of course, I am his mom.....that may make all the difference.)

Joshua, who is almost 14 now (4 more years buddy and you're outta here!;)) is in a dance group. They have been involved in a local competition and have made it all the way to the semi-finals. The finals are next week. That, plus band, and his new found fascination with weight lifting has been enough to keep him out of trouble this summer, so far anyway.

My goddaughter, Terriana, is leaving for Florida today. She's spending the rest of the summer with her dad. So, by the time she gets back (and we deprogram her from 2 months of being spoiled rotten:)) she'll be ready for the 1st grade.

And the dogs are outside, rolling around in the grass play fighting and the cats are in the house rolling around on the carpet play fighting. And Lukas and Jakob are just fighting......don't think there's any play in this one. Aaaaaahhh, brothers......gotta love 'em cause you can't shoot 'em :)

Well, that's my Saturday. How about yours?

Peace alllllllllllllllllllll..............................

2 comments:

Oh great One said...

How great for your kids! My daughter was reluctant to read at first. She wouldn't sit still long enough to do it. Then all of a sudden it all just fell into place and she was a reading maniac!

My 3 year old is counting and he recognizes some numbers but we're no where close to reading. Good for you!

Granny Annie said...

Submarine! Should he be called a prodigy?