Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Money Talks

Maybe it's just me...but I don't think it's about race. I don't think that skin color had anything to do really with the government's response (or lack thereof) to the Katrina disaster. I think it had more to do with the color of people's money (or lack thereof).

See, the government doesn't really care what color you are. They care how much money you have. And if you don't fall into the higher income tax bracket, well then you're basically on your own. ( And please, before you start ranting about 'federal programs' designed to help the 'financially challenged'....take a good long look at these programs. Most of them are outdated, understaffed and, by the time corrupt leaders take their pound of flesh out, woefully underfinanced.)

Unfortunately, the preponderance of people who live below the poverty line or just right above it are not caucasian. They are Blacks and Hispanics. Therefore, you get the idea that it is black people that the Bush administration cares so little about. Not true. The Bush administration, just like EVERY presidency before it (be they Dem or Republican) doesn't really care about ANYONE. It's just that money equals power; consequently, they are reallllly not concerned with those that have no money. Because if your main concern is feeding your family, what can you do to make a difference to the President? Or the governor? Or the mayor? Nothing but a lot of talking, which goes in one ear and out the other.

I think what I am most angry about is this: we have seen the carnage, we have seen the bodies in the street, we have seen the suffering. And we have seen our President, the leader of our country, the most powerful man in the world...delivering lip service and posing for photo ops. Patting these people on the head like they are his pet dogs, like they are mentally challenged children who don't know how to tie their own shoes. Thinking that his trite cliches delivered with all the sincerity of a Gap store sales clerk are going to make these people feel better about things. Why don't you pretend it was your own family George, your own daughters, your own wife? Maybe even your own dog? (Who I'm sure receives more genuine caring from you than the people of this country do) Wipe that half-witted smirk off of your face and get down here in the dirt with the real people who are having to deal with this mess...not surrounded by a council of 'advisors' who have no more idea of what is really going on than you do.

I know that we don't have the finances to back any presidential campaigns, or to buy our senator's votes. But we are still American citizens....black, white, what the heck ever. We were born in this country and by virtue of that we deserve the same thing that the wealthy deserve. Your leadership, your sincerity, your compassion and your time. I don't think that I am asking for much....all I'm asking is that you do your JOB. (You know....job...that thing most of us have to do or else get fired. Hmmmm....fired....there's a thought)

And that's all I have to say about that....for now.

Peace alllll......

4 comments:

sprinkle4 said...

Thank you! I wasn't sure if I was even making any sense to anyone but me....but then again that's not unusual;)

begins with v said...

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!

I think that some people think that it is a race issue because their low-economic status is in most instances because of their race...black and hispanic people just don't have as many opportunities as white people do...I am trying to teach my students about white priviledge right now. I have 22 students all of whom are white, and they don't see anything weird about the fact that our university lacks diversity within the student body...that they are priviledged with an education. They really don't think that they have more priviledges because they are white...but they do, and hopefully I can turn some heads....sorry I just went on that random tangent...I agree with what you are saying!

United We Lay said...

Well said.

Anonymous said...

using this logic>>how do you explain 9/11??>>another instance of the government being inept,where most of these people "lingering around" the poverty line??
This writer suggests that racism is alive and well>.(dont agree>>visit a chuch on any given Sunday).
This writer also suggests that the Red Cross is making out like gang busters on this "disaster".The misuse of people's trust is rampant>>and not allways government driven>>
Its still against the law for rich people to live under an overpass also. Thought I would take the conterpoint on this one>>>>>>
Would love to hear your comments on the honorable politician from Alabama and his views on Katrina(i.e.>>Gods punisment for all them sinners in New Orleans)and how the constitution regarding Church and State applies
Love your analogies>>thought I might give you food for thought on your next missive..
this aint Roy Moore>>the alabama liberal