Thursday, June 09, 2005

Everywhere You Go.....

Everywhere you go, there you are......

When I was a kid, I used to daydream about what I would be when I grew up. And for a day or two I swore I would be....an astronaut, a pilot, a ballerina, a rock star, a veterinarian...etc. Until I realized that....you have to pee in your suit, you have to fly, you have to be ridiculously short, you have to be able to sing, and animals die sometimes, respectively.

Now that I am grown (physically anyway;)), I still daydream about what I could be and where I could go and what I could do when I get there. Of course, I recognize these for what they are...just daydreams, fantasies of what could be and what could have been. Everyone has them.

Everyone has dreams and everyone has regrets. These are the two main ingredients of life. No matter how hard you try to follow the first you can't avoid the latter. Why didn't I do this when I had the chance? Why did I do this when I could have done something else....something better?

Truth is, it probably wouldn't have been better....just different. And as long as you're breathing, you still have the chance.

A 'good life' isn't made up of money, a nice house and a fancy car. It isn't made up of extraordinary adventures and prestigous awards. It's made of simpler things. A walk in the park, a cat purring on your chest, jack-o-lanterns, snow, a glass of iced tea on a scorching summer day, holding hands when there's nothing else left to hold on to......threads of everyday life that weave the blanket that will cover you on the day of your last breath.

You may one day be remembered for having a lot of money, or being a great leader, or having many adventures....but not by the ones that matter. To the ones that are closest to you, the important ones, you will be remembered for who you were, not necessarily what you did.

Your truest goal in life is to be the best, most loving, most caring, kind, compassionate person that you can be. And you can do that right in your own backyard.

Remember this.....the grass may look greener on the other side of the fence, but once you climb that fence, all ya see is a lot of ragweed. And you can't always get back to the flowers that you left behind. (Yeah, yeah....I know that was a little too metaphorical...so sue me;))

Peace allll............

3 comments:

Oh great One said...

Sprinkle you are my hero. No really I mean it!

I wish I could be your neighbor. I mean that in a "fun so we could hang out way" not in a "scary stalking way"!

sprinkle4 said...

Thanks for the compliment:) You could move in on the other side of me....it would offset the 'scary stalking kind of way' neighbor that I already have!;)

Mad Housewife said...

I will ALWAYS have the dream of going to college until I have finally graduated. I have to start going first of course, but circumstances are not being very friendly with me at this time.

I have always wanted to be an architect. I've studied the works of Frank Lloyd Wright and find his designs fascinating.

This post just inspires me to keep hanging on tightly to that dream and not let go. Like I said on OGO's blog, you two are awesome! I always enjoy your posts, even if I don't comment. I'm still there reading.