Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Sex Sells...And So Does Stupidity

I was at work the other night and one of my co-workers received as a tip three copies of a CD from a local rap group. ( Yeah, I know....pay your rent with that.) I was looking at the song list and saw the usual suspects..."Chillin' on da Block", "Eaze Ya Mind", "Calm Ya Nerves" and "Danm Shorty" (and yes it was spelled just like that) when I ran across a song entitled "Ho Sit Down". That's right....ho, sit down. And although I found the idea of actually listening to a song called "Ho Sit Down" completely disgusting, I realized that there are a lot of people who would probably think that this was a great song. Why is this? Because we allow it.

I was channel surfing earlier this evening and ran across a video where some girl was barely dressed and shaking every body part she had for all it was worth. And this video was by a well known singer. How and why is this man making allll of this money and having some woman dance on film like some sort of zoo animal? Because we allow it.

Women complain today that men don't respect them, that they treat them like dirt. Well, this is one of the sources of the problem right here. You teach people how to treat you. And if you are willing to buy into half dressed women and songs like "Ho Sit Down" then you are making the problem worse, so don't blame anyone else. My mother used to say that when women act like tramps (that was her word for it), then they have no reason to become angry when men talk to and treat them as such. This is why a lot of men/boys are growing up with no respect for women at all. The mainstream media is not about to stop selling sex....or stupidity. So it is up to intelligent, rational people to stop buying into it. (No, I'm not talking about censorship...just common sense.)

As a woman, I refuse to allow this junk in my house. If I were a man, I would like to think that I would respect any woman I was with more than this. Maybe that's somany young women act like pieces of meat, because that is how they feel the average man looks at them. And true or not, the powers that be have no problem popularizing that way of thinking. I think these guys need to stop and consider whether they would want their daughters/sisters/moms clapping her booty in front of people who are only seeing her from the neck down before they put out the next video.

Peace allllll.......

2 comments:

Oh great One said...

Oh Sprinkle! You hit the nail on the head! (I swear you could be reading my mind! Only you say it so much better than I could.)

I saw a story on The Today show and they were talking about teens and sex. The girls were allowing themselves to be "used" and discarded because they thought it would help them be popular. It scared me silly to think that my daughter will have to deal with that sort of crap in the not too distant future.

Shane said...

L, come keep me company.

http://tempestreborn.blogspot.com