Friday, February 18, 2005

Joy

I sometimes think that children are a panacea to all of life's ills. As loud, messy and sticky as they often are, they are so involved with the wonders of the world around them and so open with their joy over little things that it makes you wish life were always so simple.

Grover and I took the kids with us to the memorial service last night. They were wonderfully well behaved (will miracles never cease?;)), with one exception. My one year old bit the top off of the carnation I was holding. I put it up to his nose so he could smell it (yeah, I know, not very smart) and he proceeded to just bite the entire head off of the flower. Fortunately, I managed to retrieve it before he swallowed. One of the volunteers working there offered me another but I think that one flower a day is enough roughage for anyone, so I declined.

So I am sitting here with a one year old in my lap and a stem in one hand and a flower head in the other and he looks at me with the most wonderful smile, like "See, it's not so bad." And I found myself laughing and crying at the same time. And then he kissed me on my face. For those of you who have never had a child just up and kiss you because they want to, let me tell ya, it is a moment of heaven. For those of you who have, you know what I'm talking about.

I wish that people could maintain that simple joy that kids have. Here I am looking for my purpose in life, my destiny and wondering what legacy I will one day leave behind and my kids get excited, truly excited, over a piece of cheese... or a big dog.....or a blue truck going down the street....or wind in their face.

I think that God put kids here so we will never forget what true love is. Pure, simple, unfettered joy in living, in just being here. And like Miss Celie said, "I may be poor. I may be stupid. I may even be ugly. But, dear God, I'm here." And that is good enough for me.

Peace allllll.................

2 comments:

Oh great One said...

Amen.

CaCaBoy said...

Thanks, I've been a little down, and this really snapped me into perspective. Your are correct when you said kids have the purest love, and joy of any of God's creatures.
thanks!