Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I Love My Children, Yes I Do

I love my children, yes I do. How do I know I do? Because I tell myself that at least three times a day. Sometimes I tell myself that when they have done something that is particularly kind or loving. Other times I tell myself that when I am questioning their sanity, or my own.

Whenever Jakob breaks wind, or poots, or passes gas (or as the OGO family calls it, "fluffing"), he will run up to me wherever I may be and say "My name is Jakob." I have no clue why he does this. He will be in the backyard and I will be in the den and he will run inside to let me know "My hame is Jakob." I am hoping he discontinues this practice before he starts school in the fall. If not, I am looking forward to a very lively parent teacher conference. (Not to mention the fact that the child loves broccoli so the amount of flatulence he produces is astounding for a 4 year old.)

Jakob: Mom may I have some candy please?
Me: No you may not.
Jakob: Don't say no momma! That's a vewy, vewy bad bad word!

Lukas hates wearing pants that button or zip. In other words, he only likes wearing sweat pants. When I try to get him to wear jeans he will tell me they are "too small" even if they are a size too big. Most guys wait until they are around 40 beofre they give up fashion for comfort. I suppose he is just advanced for his age. Either that or he just takes after me. He also like for me to bite his feet. Now, that was fun when he was a little baby and hadn't started walking yet. But now? You're 5..... I don't know what your feet have been in but chances are whatever it was, dirt was a major component.

Lukas: (hitting something in another room): I hate you!!
Me: Who are you talking to?
Lukas: The wall....it hit my head!
Me: Are you okay?
Lukas: Yes.
Me: Okay, then....don't say hate...it's a bad word.
Lukas: Well.....I still don't like you wall!

And then there's Josh....the great debater. "Not everything in the world is up for discussion" goes in one ear and out the other. "Why? Why not? Why? Why not?" is commonly heard in our household, and although I SWORE I wouldn't do this when I was a kid, I have committed the parental crime of telling him "BECAUSE I SAID SO!!!" more than a few times. Hey, it worked for my mom.......sometimes.

But I love them....I do. They have caused me to think faster, be more resilient and certainly more creative in my reasoning. They ask the questions that I asked when I was a kid. "Why are people sometimes bad? Why do some people have to be poor? Why am I here? What can I do? When will I be big enough or old enough to.......?" And they're the same questions I still ask myself. And we try to figure out the answers together.

But one thing....well, one thing never changes. They are all still so beautiful when they sleep. The peace and innocence on their faces is striking (and yes, even a 14 year old can be innocent to a large degree).

And then they wake up with messy hair, bleary eyes and morning breath;) And we start all over again.

I love my children, yes I do.

I really, really do.

Peace alllllllll....................

5 comments:

Oh great One said...

Ha! You remembered!

Kids are great aren't they? I too have said the dreaded phrase," Because I said so!" My son is the negotiator in our house. My daughter is a rule follower. I'm glad she came first!

elizabeth said...

I hear you! Great post. And - I've said "because I said so" too. It's almost unavoidable. ;-)

Granny Annie said...

Oh yes, they are so easy to love when they are sleeping! Precious children, loving post.

Ed & Jeanne said...

Nice post. Yeah, don't you just love having to answer 8 bazillion questions. And we thought those multiple choice tests in school were long...

begins with v said...

you are so right...when they are sleeping, they are precious.