Sunday, March 30, 2008

Detox Blues Update

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. As you can probably imagine, it has been a little tense around my neck of the woods. But, it is slowly getting better.

I had originally tried to stop smoking on March 24 but when I realized that Prancer was not doing well and would have to be euthanized, well....not smoking went out the window for a couple of days. Just a couple though.

I smoked my last cigarette on Thursday, March 27 at 11:30 PM. I have been smoke free for exactly 2 days, 10 hours, 6 minutes and 25....26.....27 seconds. I have saved $17.50 and added 16 hours onto my life. Whoo Hoo!!!! Now, I am going to take that money I saved and buy me something to eat. Because....wow! I stay hungry. But it's okay....I'll knock off the extra weight I may gain.

Other than that, it really hasn't been as dreadful as I thought. Sure, my house is the cleanest in the entire state of Alabama, I have almost choked my husband on more than one occasion and my friends accuse me of having the thousand yard stare.....but my children have no clue that mommy sometimes feels like climbing the walls. And if you can keep your kids from having to deal with it, that's all I can ask. The little ones anyway.

Insofar as Josh goes, well, this has been a really good anti-drug lesson for him. Nicotine detox, like any other kind, no matter how well it goes, is crazy hard. And it certainly ain't pretty.

The only problem is this: I can smell a lit cigarette from a mile away...and then I really want one. Only for a few minutes, but that few minutes feels like a looooong time. I was sitting on my front porch yesterday, enjoying the fresh air (which I can actually smell now for the first time in 20 years) and my next door neighbor came outside and spoke. You know, usual neighborhood chit chat. Fine, except for that cigar he was smoking and waving back and forth. I was polite, courteous, engaging and conversational......all the while imagining jumping over the fence, grabbing that cigar and just smoooooooooking it down to the nub while I had a foot on his chest. But he will never know that:)

After he went back inside I had to get on the phone and call my friend to talk me down. Fifteen minutes and an entire bag of jellybeans later and I was fine.

I know that this is a very boring post today. Sorry about that. But unfortunately, I'm still in the mire. Should be better in a day or two and I'll be back to my old self. Baby steps....... I'm gonna go clean my house now....or choke my husband...whichever comes first:)

Peace alllllll...................

4 comments:

Granny Annie said...

You're giving away your M O. We're going to have to testify against you if your choke your husband or if you strike neighbors and steal their cigars!

Take a deep breath and keep up the good work! Remember The Little Engine That Could, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...I knew I could!"

Ed & Jeanne said...

Hard for me to relate. I've never even puffed a cigarette before...

Oh great One said...

Good for you! Stopping smoking is tough. My mom has done it several times! Hang in there!

Lizard said...

Thanks for your encouragement sis. I felt so uneasy when the interviewer started to torment me when I couldn't answer them.This is what I mean I can't talk with a stranger but definitely there are many nice ppl as sis mentioned.

Hang in there sis,I believe you can make it when you're determined!!

God bless sprinkleshouse :)