Sunday, July 08, 2007

School Daze

At church this morning, our pastor informed us that our church is launching a home school program. They are having a meeting on it tomorrow night for interested parties to get more information about it. I have thougth about homeschooling the kids for some time now, but I (and Grover) have been unable to make a decision thus far.

There are several pro points on homeschooling, such as the ability to let the kids go at their own pace, be it fast or slow, the freedom for religous instruction, and not worrying about bullies and fights and bad teachers.

However, by the same token, there is not really enough socialization in home schools. I know that they have groups and meetings and dances and sports events for the kids, but it's just not the same.

If I homeschool, there won't be any class parties, or homecoming dances or proms or being in the band or clubs or any of the great things that make public schools great.

Lukas is due to start kindergarten in August. Kindergarten is not mandatory in Alabama, though, so I do have a minute to decide, if I need more time. But something is telling me to get all the research I can, pray about it and decide. I don't want to waste time if I don't have to but I do want to make the right decision for my kids.

Ah,more questions than I know what to do with these days!

Have an abfab day peoples!!

Peace allllll................

1 comment:

Oh great One said...

I considered home schooling briefly when my oldest was starting school. I did it out of fear though. I wanted to protect my little angel from the big bad world. In the end I chose public school. I didn't want her to miss out on all the things I have such great memories of.

It's a very personal decision. I'm sure you will make the right choice for you and your family. Good luck!