Sunday, December 18, 2005

My Favorite Christmas Gift

I received my favorite Christmas gift of all time when I was 9 years old. Due to the fact that my father (you know, the raging drunk) had recently abandoned his financial responsibilities to the family, we had no money. None. This was the year that we had tacos for Christmas dinner. (My mom, however, made that much better by referring to it as a "Mexican Christmas";)) Anyway, since we had no money, I was not expecting anything for Christmas. Being a typical 9 year old, I was much distressed by this of course, but I didn't want to make my mom feel bad, so I never let it curb my enthusiasm for Christmas. (Now, many years later and being a mom myself, I realize that a mom's guilt over some things can never be assuaged no matter what happens.)

When I woke up that Christmas morning, I had a gift under the tree. This is what it was: a Barbie doll.......but that's not all. My mom had taken empty cracker boxes and turned them inside out and somehow made a bed, a dresser, a couch and a chair out of these boxes. She had taken scraps of fabric that she had around the house and "upholstered" the couch and chair and made a pillow and lovely comforter for the bed. Also, she had taken some more fabric and made my Barbie a whole new wardrobe, including a little Barbie coat. I was absolutely fascinated by this. I didn't know that you could make furniture out of cracker boxes. I didn't know that my mom knew how to do this kind of stuff. (Is it any wonder that I thought my mom hung the moon?)

I think that the reason this is my favorite gift of all time is that it came from the heart, not the wallet. I kept it until it just flat wore out from being played with all the time. Over the years, I have received many more gifts, some quite expensive, others not so much. But none have meant so much to me as that one, not yet.

Thanks Mom.

Peace allll..........

2 comments:

Oh great One said...

I see why you cherished them so!

Granny Annie said...

Re: My Favorite Christmas Gift" My children love and forgive me too and remember fondly our days of poverty after divorce. My son was 4, my daughter 3, when I divorced their "raging drunk" dad. I remained single for 26 years and raised two fine, smart, beautiful children. But now I have to accept the fact that I married the loser when I was 19. I made bad choices failing to read the signs of failure, abuse and alcoholism and today my daughter especially pays the price by continuing to try to believe in her father who continues to pull the rug out from under her. I would live that frightening life over again to end up with those great kids because they are my life's reward, but I sure gave them a burden in that horrible man. I escaped him but they had to keep him for life. I read you for your wisdom and think of my daughter when I look at your blog. I wish you both didn't have to experience the pain. Yet, you both have wonderful husbands and kids, so I guess you learned from our mistakes. I have just passed and passed this needing to speak to you about it. Peace always!