Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Just A Suggestion

I have a recommendation for churches all over the country. This may sound a bit petty on my part, but, hey...it won't be the first time.

I think that churches should really rethink the way that they treat visitors. I'm not saying don't be polite, and I'm not saying don't introduce yourself and make the visitor feel welcome. This is what I AM saying:

1. Stop making visitors wear a carnation, or a mum, or any other flower that has been genetically designed to be bigger than a human head.

2. Please don't make them wear ribbons, "Hello, my name is......." stickers, or big purple bows on their heads (okay I made that last part up...but you get the point)

3. Do not, I repeat DO NOT, point them out in the middle of the service and ask them to stand up before the entire congregation.

The reason for this request is simple: most visitors feel a little self-conscious in the first place. After all, they are in a new place full of people that they don't even know. Most of them would like to just try to blend in for a while, not be pointed out like they have a scarlet letter. It often makes them uncomfortable to the point that they would rather bite off their own fingers than come back.

Like I said, be polite, be friendly, be welcoming. But knock off all the ornamentation. What I'm trying to get across in the most Christian like fashion is this: BACK OFF!......please

Peace allll..............

1 comment:

Oh great One said...

I agree with you completely. However it is nice to have people greet you or at least say hello. We visited one a while back where no one acknowledged us at all. Needless to say we didn't return.