Wednesday, August 06, 2008

First Day, Hopefully Not The Last

Lukas working on his next masterpiece. (The calm before the storm:))

5 minutes after this picture was taken, Jakob decided he needed a flatter piece of Play-Dough and proceeded to sit on some until it was flatter than a pancake. Then he made butt flavored castles.:)

My babies started to school today. And truthfully, I was more upset about it than they were. They were excited, they were ready to go, up and at 'em at 6 this morning. They were happy to see their teachers and ready to have a great day. We dropped them off in their classes, took a few pictures and they forgot all about us. We wondered and worried and prayed that they were having a great day all the way up until it was time to go and pick them up. It was at that time that we discovered we had a problem. (See, we kind of figured it out when we pulled up in the car and their two teachers were like "Oh, THERE they are!!" with looks of gratitude that we had come to rescue them.)

This is the problem: somewhere along the way of getting them excited about going to school, we may have neglected to tell them that they had to stay there ALL day. I'm sure I told them this at least once, but then again maybe not. Because my children were under the impression that they could just come in for a while, hang out for a minute and then pack up their backpacks and leave. And so they did. Both of them at separate times packed their backpacks up and just walked out of the room. Jakob came back when the teacher called him but it took a teacher, an assistant teacher and a music teacher to corral Lukas. If they weren't my kids I would think that it was pretty funny. Oh, let's face it. I STILL think it's pretty funny. Unfortunately those teachers didn't.

That is one thing that I had forgotten about, despite having been around teachers most of my life. They have a tendency to get that worried look when things like this happen. You know what they're thinking but don't want to ask: "Is your child alright? Is there something wrong? Does he have ADHD or PTSD or BAD?" So they simply ask you how you handle these things at home. And I had to tell them that since they have been 2 they haven't tried to pack up and leave home. It is, after all, their HOME. I don't think they appreciated my humor.

So, I made the mandatory apologies, put on my concerned parent face and brought my children home. And yes, I put on my concerned parent face because I don't really think that this is cause for alarm. They are almost 5 and 6 years old, they have never been to school before. They evidently decided they had had enough for one day. I just had to explain to them that the day is not over until I or Dad come and get you. Easily understood. I think. We'll soon see. I've given the teachers my reassurance that they will probably be fine with the new rules and structure and whatnot by the end of the week. Heh......I love that word "probably". It's kind of like "maybe". Doesn't mean a whole lot, it just sounds like it does.

So, who knows what kind of shenanigans will take place tomorrow. All I know is: when Lukas and Jakob get together wackiness ensues!!:) Yeah, they need to have their own sitcom.

Peace allllllllllll.................

7 comments:

Oh great One said...

Oh my goodness! That's too cute. "Well this was fun but I'm ready to go home now. Peace all!"

Are they in the same class?

sprinkle4 said...

No, they are in separate classes but they are directly across the hall from each other and at one point yesterday they decided they were going to go see each other's rooms (without permission of course.) This has GOT to get better:)

Lizard said...

wow, ur kids are too cute and awesome.. Well kids are kids, they are on the way of learning and adapting,not to worry so much k and I believe god will carry them through.. God Bless Sprinklehouse always..

Granny Annie said...

What's the follow up? Can't wait to hear if they stormed the doors the second day:-) This is going to be an interesting school year.

sprinkle4 said...

Well, they didn't try to leave the next day...but they decided to try to leave the line to the lunchroom and Lukas told the teacher at one point (when she was trying to tell the class a story)"Alright, that's it, that's enough!" I think that once he realizes that the teacher runs the room and not him, he'll be just fine. The question is how long will it take him to realize that.....a couple of days or the next 12 years?:)

The Zombieslayer said...

That's actually pretty funny. From the teachers' points of view, I guess they're concerned that they may walk outside and they'll be responsible for them.

I do wish a job was like what they think a school is like. You've had enough, so you just grab your bag and head home.

sprinkle4 said...

You know, I've had a couple of jobs that WERE like that...I just grabbed my bag and headed home. Of course, I didn't go back but.....:)